Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My own votes

Nobody has asked, but nonetheless I feel compelled to share with the world who I would have voted for:
  • Garbage - Bleed Like Me (it's like a callout to all us tortured teenagers from the 90s)
  • Air - All I Need (such a beautiful, calming song)
  • Dionne Warwick - Do You Know The Way To San Jose (love those old-fashioned backing vocals and the sweet lyrics)
  • Gladys Knight and The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia (so sad, and I love the Doonesbury cartoon strip that referenced it)
  • Fiona Apple - Better Version Of Me (really struck a chord for me as I was counting down to maxillofacial (aka "jaw") surgery)
  • Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (such an awesome song celebrating the self)
  • Fiona Apple - Paper Bag (perfect melody, gorgeous sentiment, perfect sing-along)
  • Garbage - Vow (this song made me certain that all track #7s were always my favourite)
  • Garbage - Fix Me Now (back when we WERE those tortured teens, this was so perfect)
  • Garbage - Push It (turn it up loud, jump around, then lie back and think of Shirley)
  • Jenny Wilson - Summertime (lilting, perfect, gets me through winter gloom)
  • Jenny Wilson - Let My Shoes Lead Me Forward (such a great song for a control freak like me to listen to)
  • Jill Sobule - Resistance Song (as someone with incredibly vivid dreams, this really struck a chord with me)
  • Michelle Shocked - Anchorage (an homage to the endurance of friendships and the changes of growing up, and so elegant)
  • Sleater-Kinney - All Hands On The Bad One (oh hell yes, turn it up and rock)
  • Veruca Salt - Seether (this was my teen angst wrapped up in my tortured teen soul)
  • Four Non Blondes - What's Going On (musically gorgeous, impassioned, and felt so meaningful as a kid)
  • Lisa Loeb - Stay (makes me tear up, taught me about relationships before I even contemplated them)

5 comments:

  1. Great choices! Why I don't own an album by Fiona Apple is a mystery to me--but I plan to remedy that very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now I feel so guilty for not putting in a vote for "Anchorage". One of the most moving songs ever recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome selection here Nay. I'm slowly checking out the artists who, for whatever reason, never quite made it onto my radar before now...

    Again, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Anchorage fan!!! I adore that album :) And Crystalsinger - just say the word, am happy to "lend" albums!

    PS Arakha don't forget to update us on Twitter with how much you think Fiona Apple is teh r0x0r :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man - I can't believe I didn't vote for any Michelle Shocked. That's a huge oversight and now feel very guilty too. Saw her years ago at The Metro in Sydney. She was awesome but cut the show short because of a personal crisis. I wish she'd tour again. 'Anchorage' is fantastic but I also love 'The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore' and 'Ballad of Penny Evans'. I only have her Short Sharp Shocked' album.

    ReplyDelete