Monday, August 10, 2009

The countdown! Positions 12-20

This post is a bit different. Work with me here ...

Position 20:

"I Touch Myself", by Divinyls, from Australia, in 1991



Incidental fact: This is a fracking sexy video clip. Holy crap. I got steamed up watching it.

Positions 16-19, tied:

"Gorecki", by Lamb, from England, in
"Heart Of Glass", by Blondie, from USA, in 1979
"Jolene", by Dolly Parton, from USA, in 1974
"Violet", by Hole, from USA, in 1995



Incidental fact: Jolene is such a beautiful song! And Dolly Parton is drop-dead gorgeous. And I LOVE her voice. I must listen to more country music.

Position 15:

"Good Fortune", by PJ Harvey, from England, in 2000



Position 14:

"Running Up That Hill", by Kate Bush, from England, in 1985



Positions 12-13, tied:

"Fast Car", by Tracy Chapman, from USA, in 1988
"Maps", by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, from USA, in 2003



Incidental fact: "Maps" is the highest ranking song from the 2000s. Also, I didn't realise so many people loved "Fast Car". I think it's a wonderful song. Plus, how amazing is she live!

5 comments:

  1. Tracy Chapman stands alone as far as I am concerned; talent versus fad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see Kate Bush at #14... she is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I forgot to vote for Gorecki, one of my all time favourite songs! I did vote for Running Up That Hill and Violet, a couple of my faves from Kate and Hole. And of course Jolene. I grew up on Dolly! And I love PJ and Tracey as well. Tracey has such a gentleness in her voice. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite version of Jolene. And it has a sexy vid too. That's Katie from Daisy Chainsaw, in case you recognise her. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSx5IWSjL_0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney Love is amazing. This list needed the sort of raw power she brings.

    ReplyDelete